Saturday, October 29, 2011

close one eye.

no wins, no mentions, so everything's out in the open.

You died
Starving
Not the only one
with a three second memory.

Scavenged treasure chests
deserve a sea burial, no less
opening the creaky hinge
I stare into (my own) greed already sunk
and then I walk you 9 storeys high
to plank you down in refuse

while you sailed your membraned globe
I was the lone constellation, the northern star
the one sailors of your kind worship, devouring
your radiance with beige palm-shaped clouds
when it pleases me -
yet darkness engulfs us both

I peer into my blinkered periscope and observe
how your scurvied skeleton surface
when I drop rusty depth charges that are
defused, with equal parts desperation,
disdain, and contempt
you’ve lost your bearings, and so too my moral heading

I remember now
what Guilt forgot
obfuscated under a childish grin of
smoke and mirrors and
a selective eyepatch.

No comments: